Celebrate the power of showing up and speaking up for peace, equality, and care for our planet. When we march, we use our feet, voices, and hearts. Even the smallest among us have a voice!
When we march, we use our feet
to follow the crowd,
and to lead.
We go outside under one big sky, together.
WHEN WE MARCH explores what it feels like—from your head, to your heart, to your toes—to stand up for values that are fundamental to us all. Written by Kimberly Rae Gilbert and illustrated by Shannon Frabbiele, this children’s picture book explains why citizens—even the very youngest!—in a democracy take to the streets in peaceful protest.
Where to purchase …
- Directly from us at our online store where 20% of proceeds support the efforts of Womxn’s March Denver to amplify marginalized voices
- On Etsy! You’ll find When We March among a whole bunch of social justice gifts, and 20% of proceeds go to a rotating set of civic education organizations.
- Boulder Book Store: online or in person (1107 Pearl St., Boulder, Colorado)
- Sundance Books & Music online or in person (121 California Ave., Reno, Nevada)
- PLUS: We offer free lesson plans & discussion guides to help generate effective conversations with your little marchers
Spread the message of democracy for all
Every purchase of WHEN WE MARCH supports the same civic values the book champions. We, the creators, pledge to re-invest proceeds from the book in efforts to promote civic participation and education. Why? Because democracy is a verb! And we’re all in this together!
To date, we have donated more than 135 books to schools, libraries, and organizations that serve disadvantaged communities all over the country. Bulk donation recipients include:
- The Children’s Book Project (California)
- Room to Grow (Massachusetts)
- YWCA of Boulder County: Reading to End Racism program (Colorado)
- YWCA of Bucks County: Reading to End Racism program (Pennsylvania)
- Reach Out & Read (New York & Colorado)
- Kids Need to Read (Arizona)
- Spread the Word Nevada (Nevada)
We couldn’t have made any of these contributions without our tireless cheerleaders and generous Kickstarter backers, who started us on this journey!
And don’t forget to download your free lesson plan & discussion guide!
“Excellent, sensitively written, beautifully illustrated children’s book.”retired teacher & school administrator
“This is gorgeous! I cried and I cheered.”parent & children’s book author (Boulder, CO)
“My third grader read your book to us tonight – it’s wonderful!! It sparked such great discussion and they pointed out that there were people of all colors and the person in a wheelchair and the women wearing hijab Congrats on a great debut! I’m going to buy another copy to donate to her class!”parent (Syracuse, NY)
“When We March arrived in the mail today and WOW! You have 3 new little fans. We read it right away and it sparked such joy and pride and power in us all. This book is pure magic. To all my parent, auntie, uncle, teacher, anyone-at-all friends … this is a must-read for our littles!”parent & educator (Atlanta, GA)
“The powerful message and the wonderful illustrations are magical, and I am thrilled to have a copy. “grandparent (Corvallis, OR)
“I just read the text and it is so BEAUTIFUL. This book will be a gift to all who come into contact with it!”parent & educator (Boulder, CO)
This book’s only weakness might be that I will never, ever, be able to read it aloud to my child without crying.”parent (Williamstown, MA)
“[The book] made me want to go with some other people and change something!”5th grade student (denver, co)
“This is truly beautiful! Very passionate, powerful and true. I really like the animal analogies, generally, but especially for kids. A very vivid way to illustrate community.”parent (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)